Who can claim a Vat Refund
A person who
is not a Thai national
is a non-resident or has not been in Thailand for more than 180 days in a calendar year.
is not an airline crew member departing Thailand on duty.
departs Thailand from an international airport.
purchases goods from stores displaying a “VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS” sign.
How to claim a Vat Refund
A VAT refund only applies to goods taken out of Thailand with the traveller within 60 days from the date of purchase.
Goods must be purchased from stores displaying the “VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS” sign.
Goods must be at least 5,000 baht including VAT and must be purchased from each supplier at the amount of at least 2,000 baht per day.
On the purchasing day, present your passport and ask the sales assistant at the store to complete the VAT Refund Application for Tourists form (P.P.10) and attach the original tax invoices to the form. Each application form (P.P.10) must show a value of goods of 2,000 baht or more.
Before departure, present your goods and VAT Refund Application for Tourists form (P.P.10) to Customs for inspection before check-in.
Valuable goods, such as jewelry, gold ornaments, watch, glasses, or pen, must once more be inspected by the Revenue officers at the VAT refund office at the departure lounge after passport control.
You can either present your claim to the Revenue officers at the VAT Refund Counter or mail it back to the Revenue Department of Thailand or drop it into the box at the VAT Refund Counter.
How will the refund be paid
- Refund amount not exceeding 10,000 baht, will be made in cash (Thai baht) or by bank draft or credit to your credit card account.
- Refund amount exceeding 10,000 baht, will be made by bank draft or credit to your credit card account.
The following fees apply to refund requests.
- For cash refund, a fee of 100 Baht
- For draft refund, a fee of 100 Baht plus draft issuing fee at the rate charged by banks and postage fees
- For credit to credit card account refund, a fee of 100 Baht plus money transfer fee at the rate charged by banks and postage fees.
- Allow yourself adequate time at the airport for the refund process.
- You will not be able to request a VAT Refund claim for prohibited items, firearms, explosives or any similar items, and gemstones.