Ayutthaya: Bang Pa-In Summer Palace

Written by admin on January 7th, 2014. Posted in Ayutthaya

Half an hour south of Ayutthaya, (58 kilometres north of Bangkok by rail, 61 kilometres by road), Bang Pa-In is the site of a riverside summer palace formerly popular with late Ayutthaya-period monarchs and early kings of the present Chakri dynasty.

Originally, the riverine island was used by the Ayutthayan monarch, Prasat Thong (reign: 1630-1655) as a summer residence, and by every Ayutthayan monarch thereafter. When Bangkok became the new Thai capital in 1782, Bang Pa-In remained deserted for 80 years. King Rama IV (reign: 1851-1868) stayed there and had a residence constructed in the old palace compound. His son, King Chulalongkorn (reign: 1868-1910) liked the place, and stayed there every year, largely constructing the royal palace, a collection of Thai, European and Chinese-style buildings, as it is seen today.

The palace is open every day from 8.30 AM until 3.30 PM. Admission is 50 baht. 

Attractions of Bang Pa-In are as follows:


Aisawanthipphaya-At Pavilion

Aisawanthipphaya At PaviloonThis lovely classic Thai-style pavilion in the centre of an ornamental lake is one of Thailand’s best-known landmarks. Originally built of wood during the reign of King Rama V, the structure was reinforced with concrete pillars and floor by his son, King Vajiravudh (reign: 1910-1926).


Warophat Phiman Hall

Warophat Phiman HallFormerly a wooden, two-storey building used as a throne hall, and royal residence, the present European-style throne hall was constructed by King Rama V. The hall contains several historical paintings, and some of popular Thai literature, including the epic Ramakian, and Inao.




Utthayan Phumisathian Hall

Utthayan Phumisathian HallThe current wooden structure is a faithful reproduction of the original, which burned down in 1938.




Wehat Chamrun Hall

Wehat Chamrun HallThis magnificent Chinese-style building was a gift to King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) from the king’s subjects of Chinese ancestry. King Rama V used customarily to reside in the dwelling during Cool Season visits.




Withunthatsana Hall

Withunthatsana HallThe tower-like structure, essentially a three-storey-building with a spiral staircase, was used by King Rama V as a vantage point during his periodic visits.




Queen Sunantha Monument

This memorial to the consort of Rama V who died tragically during a boating accident at Bang Pa-In contains the queen’s ashes and relics.

Wat Niwet Thammaprawat

Wat Niwet ThammapawatThis riverine island Buddhist temple was constructed, at the command of King Rama V during 1878, in the style of an English Gothic church. The structure’s stained glass windows and unusual architecture make it one of the most distinctive Buddhist temples anywhere in Thailand. 

Ayutthaya: Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts & Crafts Centre

Written by admin on January 7th, 2014. Posted in Ayutthaya

3309 road ,south of Bang Pa-In Summer Palace

This 14-acre riverside complex in Ayutthaya’s Bang Sai district is under the Foundation of Supplementary Occupations and Related Techniques (SUPPORT) which was established under royal patronage during 1976.

The centre trains farmers from Ayutthaya, and other provinces, in folk arts and crafts. Visitors to the centre can see how such crafts are produced. They include: 

- Fern vine basketry
- Basketry weaving
- Artificial silk flowers
- Hand-woven silks and cottons
- Silk dyeing
- Wood carving
- Miniature hand-made Thai dolls
- Furniture making
- Textile products

 All such products are sold at the Bang Sai Centre, and in every branch of Chitralada Shops nationwide.

The Bang Sai Folk Arts and Crafts Centre is open every day from 8.30 AM until 4.30 PM. There are no demonstrations on Monday. Admission is 20 baht.

Bang Sai can be conveniently reached by public transport from the Northern Bus Terminal on Bangkok’s Phaholyothin Road. Buses depart every 30 minutes from 5.30 AM until 6.00 PM. Tickets are 25 baht by airconditioned bus, and 17 baht by ordinary buses. 

The Historic City of Ayutthaya

Written by admin on January 7th, 2014. Posted in Ayutthaya

Wat Phra Si San Phet & The Ancient Palace

This royal temple was the inspiration for the Emerald Buddha Chapel in Bangkok, and is the focal point of a complex currently called the ‘Ancient Palace’. Much like the Grand Palace complex in Bangkok, the ‘Ancient Palace’ was the traditional residence of Ayutthayan monarchs.  

Wat Phra Si San Phet & The Ancient PalaceThe entire complex is dominated by Wat Phra Si San Phet’s three towering Ayutthayan-style chedis, and contains several satellite ruins of meeting halls used for state ceremonies, to welcome foreign envoys, to view military parades and royal barge processions, and for leisure. Adjacent to the complex is the Phra Mongkhon Bophit Chapel which houses a massive bronze Buddha image.



Wat Phra Ram

Wat Phra RamThis temple was constructed during the late 1300s by King Ramesuan to commemorate his father, King Ramathibodi I, who founded Ayutthaya as his new capital in 1350.


Wat Ratchaburana

Wat RatchaburanaLocated opposite Wat Mahathat, this temple was built by King Borom Rachathirat II during the 1420s.



Wat Mahathat

Wat MahathatDating from the late 1300s, this extensive temple was destroyed in 1767. Golden memorabilia from the temple is displayed in the Chao Sam Phraya National Museum.



Wat Suwandaram Ratchaworawihan

This temple, noteworthy for excellent murals in the main classsic Ayutthayan-style chapel, near the Pom Phet fortress, is a royal monastery of the present Chakri dynasty.


Chanthrakasem or Front Palace

Chanthrakasem or Front PalaceThis palace was built as the residence of King Naresuan the Great (reign: 1590-1605). The palace was renovated during the mid 1800s by King Mongkut (Rama IV) to be his residence during occasional visits to Ayutthaya. The palace is now part of the National Museum under the responsibility of the Fine Arts Department. The museum is open every day, except Monday, Tuesday and national holidays, between 9.00 AM and 4.00 PM. Admission: 10 baht.



Chao Sam Phraya National Museum

Chao Sam Phraya National MuseumThe museum contains many Ayutthayan-style objets d’art, including exquisite golden royal memorabilia excavated from local temples. The museum is open every day, except Monday, Tuesday and national holidays, between 9.00 AM and 4.00 PM. Admission: 10 baht.



Ayutthaya Historical Study Centre

This centre is a national research institute devoted to the study of medieval Ayutthaya. The centre contains reconstructions from Ayutthaya’s historical past, an information service and a library. The centre is open from 9.00 AM until 4.00 PM every day, except Mondays, Tuesdays and national holidays. Admission: 100 baht.


Khun Phaen’s Residence

Khun Phaen's ResidenceThis teak traditional Thai-style residence, as might have been owned by a wealthy merchant, located near the Phra Mongkhon Bophit Chapel, evokes a bygone era’s lifestyle.


Wat Phuttaisawan

Wat PhuttaisawanThis riverside temple was constructed in the area where King U-Thong (later crowned King Ramathibodi I) and his followers founded the new capital of Ayutthaya in 1350.




Wat Phananchoeng

Wat PhananchoengThis riverside temple predates Ayutthaya’s founding as the Siamese capital in 1350. The principal Buddha image was built in 1325 and is highly revered by local inhabitants.




Wat Yai Chaiyamongkhon

Wat Yai ChaiyamongkhonThis monastery dates from the mid-1300s, The enormous pagoda was built by King Naresuan the Great to celebrate his victory in 1592 over the Burmese Crown Prince in single-handed combat on elephants.




Wat Chaiwattanaram

Wat ChaiwattanaramAnother riverside temple built by King Prasat Thong during the 1600s. The main prang and pagodas remain in good condition.



Wat Na Phramen

Wat Na PhramenThis temple, still in use today, is the only temple not completely destroyed during the 1767 invasion and destruction of Ayutthaya.




Elephant Kraal

Elephant KraalThis unique teak and brick structure, just beyond Ayutthaya’s riverine island, was formerly used to entrap wild elephants herded down from the North..Such occurrences were traditionally presided over by Ayutthayan monarchs, partly because the mighty beasts were vital to Ayutthaya’s military strength.



Wat Phukhao Thong(Golden Mount)

Wat Phukhao Thong(Golden Mount)This temple was constructed in 1387 during the reign of King Ramesuan. 




Ayutthaya: Getting Around

Written by admin on January 7th, 2014. Posted in Ayutthaya


 can be taken from the railway station into town. Fares are approximately 5 baht per person. 


can be taken from the pier near the railway station across the Pasak River. The fare is 2 baht. 

Tuk-tuk (3-wheeled vehcle) 

within Ayutthaya costs from 300 to 500 baht per day. 


can be rented for about 50 baht 

Bus to Out-of-Town Attractions    

Other than renting a car, you may also go to tourist sites and shopping places out of town taking a bus form local bus terminal.  

Ayutthaya: Getting There

Written by admin on January 7th, 2014. Posted in Ayutthaya

By Rail    

Trains leave Bangkok’s Hualampong Railway Station , daily, every hour, from 4.30 AM until 11.25 PM. The trip takes 80 minutes to Bang Pa-In, and 90 minutes to Ayutthaya.
Schedules (Bangkok – Ayutthaya)
Schedules (Ayutthaya – Bangkok)  

By Bus

Direct Bangkok-Ayutthaya airconditoned buses leave Bangkok’s Northern Bus Terminal on Phaholyothin Road every 30 minutes between 6.00 AM and 7.00 PM. The trip takes 90 minutes. Non-airconditioned buses make the same trip in approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Schedules & Fare Rates
(Tel: 0-2272-5299,0-2292-5242 for further details) 

By River 

The luxurious cruise from Bangkok to the former capital’s ruins of Ayutthaya and the Bang Pa-In Summer Palace are operated every day.
Click here for details of current trips and fares.  

Ayutthaya: Shopping

Written by admin on January 7th, 2014. Posted in Ayutthaya

Well known souvenirs from Ayutthaya are had made items such as

Pla Ta-Piean

Woven carp from dried palm leaf. This decorative art from dried palm leaf, a local material, has been a souvenir from Ayutthaya for more than a hundred years. 

Courtly dolls   

Courtly dollsThese small, elaborately painted dolls from baked clay picture Thai way of life. For example, there are farmer dolls, Thai boxing dolls and dolls performing Thai folk tradition. 



 Ngob is a traditional hat made from local materials such as dried palm leaf, bamboo, or rattan. 

Replica wooden house   

Replicas of traditional Thai house made of wood and cardboard in various designs are available at Ban Praek Market in Ban Preak District. 

Aranyik knives 

Aranyik knives have been renowned knives from Ayutthaya for a long time. Visitors may watch the manufacturing process and buy the products at Phainong Village and Tonpho Village in Nakhon Luang District. 

More handicrafts like glassware, hand woven fabric and basketries are available at souvenir shops, particularly the two biggest souvenir-shopping places in front of Mongkolborphit Temple and Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts & Crafts Centre 


Ayutthaya: Local Festivals

Written by admin on January 7th, 2014. Posted in Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya World Heritage Site Celebrations

Ayuthaya World Heritage Site CelebrationsDecember 13-19, 2001 , Ayutthaya Historical Park, Ayutthaya

Designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1991, Ayutthaya, an ancient Siamese capital, celebrates its glorious past with displays of traditional culture and lifestyles, numerous forms of entertainment, as well as spectacular light and sound presentations amid the ruins of this ancient city.


Bang Sai Arts & Crafts Fair

January – February , Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts & Crafts Centre, Ayutthaya

As part of assisting farmers obtain further means of livelihood, the SUPPORT project was established under H.M. the Queen Royal Patronage. Each year an annual fair displays the unique cottage industry products of this project, and allows visitors the opportunity to enjoy shopping and view exhibitions of local products. Folk entertainment performances enliven the fair.

Bang Sai Loi Krathong (Fesuival of Lights)

November 10-11 , Bang Sai Royal Arts & Crafts Centre, Ayutthaya

Bang Sai Loi Krathong (Fesuival of Lights) This event held during the full-moon in November features the launching of traditional floats (Krathongs), demonstrations and exhibitions of local handicrafts, as well as an array of other fun activities.

Ayutthaya: Trip Planning

Written by admin on January 6th, 2014. Posted in Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya is not far from Bangkok. It takes a little more than one hour from Bangkok so that you can go to Ayutthaya and return to Bangkok in the same day. But if you choose to stay overnight, you will catch the picture of the Historical City glowing in the light at night which is a wonderful scene. Ayutthaya also holds light and sound show once a year, telling stories from the history. For exact date of the show please follow our website.

Important tourist sites are historical places in the city island areas. As most of them are outdoor places, it is best to visit them in the morning or in the evening when the weather is not too hot. During the day, when it is too sunny, you may visit museums instead. In Ayutthaya you can also take a boat and enjoy the beautiful scenery along both sides of the river.

Ayutthaya: History

Written by admin on January 6th, 2014. Posted in Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya is an ancient city, founded by “King U- Thong or Ramathibodi I ” in 1350. It was used as the capital of Thailand for 417 ,during the Ayutthaya period, 33 Kings of 5 Dynasties reigned over the Kingdom.

During the first 180 years , the city was peaceful. The main acitivity then was about the state affair and trading which made Ayutthaya one of the most prosperous city in ASIA. But nine years after King Ramathibodi ll’s death in 1529 Ayutthaya became involved, for the first time , in a war with MYANMAR which led to many wars after that.

Ayutthaya was first defeated by the Burmese in 1569 , but 15 years later it was back to its glory agian by ” King Naresuan the Great “. Ayutthaya was peaceful again and enjoyed the activities in foreign affairs for about 118 years. It came to its peak until it was invaded and destroyed beyond repair by the Burmese in1767

The capital was moved to Thonburi by “King Taksin the Great” who had fought agianst the Burmese and depeated them. After 15 years of King Taksin’s reign , the capital was again moved to Bangkok by “King Rama the first“. The founder of the present Chakri Dynasty.

Ayutthaya Travel Guide

Written by admin on January 4th, 2014. Posted in Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya, Thailand’s prosperous Old Kingdom, is only 70 km north of Bangkok. Ayutthaya’s town is an island surrounded by rivers. On the island, canals were dug to connect communities together. In the old days, people used these rivers and canals as the channel of transportation. This is why Ayutthaya is called Venice of the East.

Ayutthaya is a very important historical city of Thailand. Before succumbing to Burma in 1767, Ayutthaya had been a prosperous city in many ways, politic, economic, and cultural for as long as 417 years. If you want to see historical sites, there are plenty here. An important tourist site in Ayutthaya is “The Historic City of Ayutthaya” which is announced the World Heritage by the UNESCO in 1991.

Hotels in Ayutthaya

List of discounted hotels in Ayutthaya and other 200 cities in Asia. Let’s check our customer reviews and make your reservation online.  Check Now!

Attractions in Ayutthaya

The Historic City of Ayutthaya

The Historic City of AyutthayaAyutthaya City

This riverine island is the most important tourist destination of Ayutthaya.It was destroyed by the Burmese in the 18th century. Its remains, characterized by its prang or reliquary towers, and gigantic monasteries, give an idea of its past splendour.


Bang Pa-In Summer Palace

Bang Pa-In Summer Palace20 Km south of the Ayutthaya Historical Park

Bang Pa-In is the site of riverside summer palace formerly popular with late Ayutthaya-period monarchs and early kings of the present Chakri dynasty.


Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts & Crafts Centre

Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts & Crafts Centre3309 road ,south of Bang Pa-In Summer Palace

This 14-acre riverside complex in Ayutthaya’s Bang Sai district is under the Foundation of Supplementary Occupations and Related Techniques (SUPPORT) which was established under royal patronage during 1976.