Huahin and Cha-Am: Palaces

Written by admin on January 7th, 2014. Posted in Hua Hin/Cha-Am

Phraram RatchaniwetPhraram Ratchaniwet

This palace, originally called Ban Pued Palace, was located at Tambon Ban Mo, Amphoe Muang Changwat Phetchaburi. King Chulachomklao, Rama V, desired to have it built as a rainy season palace with his own money. The plot of land was bought from a villager and the design was made by a German, Mr.Karl Deurring. Admiral HRH Prince Boriphat of Nakhonsawan HRH Prince Damrony were assigned to monitor the construction. The palace is of European design and construction began in 1909 and completed in 1916. The palace was named during the reign of king Rama VI as Son Phetch Prasat Palalce. The name was changed to be Phraram Raatchaniwet in the year 1918 when it was used as palace to welcome and accommodate state visitors.
During the reign of King Rama VII the Place was utilized, by the royal command, as Boy Scout Commanding School, Agricultural Teacher Training College, TamBon Public School, etc. In the year 1986, the Royal Thai Army requested the cooperation of the Fine Arts Department to renovate the palace spending the budget of the fine Arts Department to the amount of 2.8 million baht and the budget of the Royal Thai Army to the amount of 8.3 million baht. The renovation was completed in the year 1987. It is expected that this palace will be used as the Phetchaburi National Museum. To enter Phraram Ratchaniwet, a notifying letter must be delivered in advance to Commander of Military District, 3 rd Battalion, 11 Infantry, Amphoe Muang, Phetchaburi 76000.

Ma Ruk Ha Thai Ya Wan PalaceMa Ruk Ha Thai Ya Wan Palace

This palace is a royal seaside resort. The construction materials were obtained from the demolished Hat Cho Samran Palace by th royal command of king Vaijravudh in the year 1923. Located at Tambon Huai Nua , Amphoe Cha-Am KM.216, it is a litte bit beyond Cha-Am Beach (going from Bangkok).

This palace is noted for three two – storeyed wooden pavilions facing the sea, and is referred to as “the palace of love and hope”. Series of halls are linked together throughout the palace. Residential halls of the royal consort members are located on the right wing. The central group of halls which is the royal residence consist of royal sitting and relaxing rooms, accommodations for close royal servants called Phisan Sakhon Hall, and the reading room.

In addition, Samoson Sewakamat Hall, a two-storey open pavilion, is used as a meeting place, and sometimes as a theater. Two important dramas were shown on this stage in 1941 : “Phra Ruang” and “Wiwah Phra Samut”. Chao Phraya Ramrakhop ordered a statue of King Vajiravudh, as a royal dedication, to be enshrined in the hall of Marukhathaiyawan Palace. An annual rite is conducted on November 25, the aniversary of King Vajiravudh’s death.